Hello, my name is Mal Tabb.
Thanks for visiting our web pages. Marion & I operate a small outdoor activity organisation called Canoes, Mountains & Caves. We provide activities for: adults, young people, schools, charities, families & individuals. A key aspect of our work is the provision of a "Community Programme" which is offered free of charge to participants. If you think we might be able to help please don't hesitate to contact us, you can find out more about what we do on our main website www.canoesmountainscaves.com

Friday, 8 July 2011

Looking At Kit

I've got some group mountain days coming up in the next few weeks so have done something new for me - weigh what I normally carry with a view to reducing overall load. The stuff that I carry is probably not what everybody would take when out for a day & its certainly never been optimised for weight so hopefully this is the start of a process of refinement. I think it will in turn influence what I take with me when running in the fells (perhaps this might be a future thread) & also what I carry on expedition - something I hope to do more of in coming months. So here is the list: excluding food & fluids:

890g Berghaus freeflow light (32l) rucsac
030g Whistle
440g Survival Bag
650g Group Shelter
540g Spare Group Clothing
060g Spare Food
300g Crab & Sling
140g Hat, Gloves & Buff
440g First Aid Kit
420g North Face Apex Wind Shirt
660g Camera + Bag + Spare Batteries
120g Knife
210g Headtorch
120g Spare Headtorch
060g Spare Compass
220g Montane Litespeed H2O Jacket
260g Montane Atomic Overtrousers
060g Compass
260g OS Laminated Map
080g Glasses & Case
640g Poles

6.60Kg TOTAL

For day group kit I don't really have any reference points, however, this sounds quite heavy to me. So hopefully I'll be able to start reducing the load!

A couple of additional thoughts:
1. I've just read an item in Trail Running 4/2011 p.109 on packing for a lightweight adventure which indicates the author packs under 6kg for an overnight event: including tent, sleeping bag, stove, food etc. Now I know that I am carrying stuff that is not just for myself (eg. spare group gear, group shelter) and other stuff that I choose to carry in order to improve the overall experience (eg. camera) but it does imply that there must be some significant improvements I can make that should reduce the load.
2. Now this is not about weight I pack in a bag & carry on my back but my BMI has been constant at 25-26 for several years now, it would seem that a fairly simple hit of 2-4kg could readilly be achieved with some minor weight loss whilst still maintaining BMI at or just under 25. Hence making a very significant reduction.
3. Last time I went out I used poles for the first time for ages. This was mainly to try to help with knees (which also applies to all of the above). I certainly found they helped. However, navigation was different in that I usually carry a map all the time, if visibility was bad & I needed to micronav I would have to put the poles away - so I guess this is a minor problem. However,maybe if I revert to paper maps in a case I could keep the map accessible - a possible compromise? This is an experiment to continue.

Hoping to get out for some "gentle jogging" this afternoon - first running for just over eight weeks

No comments:

Post a Comment