Hello, my name is Mal Tabb.
Thanks for visiting our web pages. Marion & I operate a small outdoor activity organisation called Canoes, Mountains & Caves. We provide activities for: adults, young people, schools, charities, families & individuals. A key aspect of our work is the provision of a "Community Programme" which is offered free of charge to participants. If you think we might be able to help please don't hesitate to contact us, you can find out more about what we do on our main website www.canoesmountainscaves.com

Saturday, 6 August 2011

English 3000'ers: Sca Fell

With: on my own


Weather: fine, dry, a bit humid, very light winds & cloudy, although cloud base was above the summits (see below for more on weather)


Still enjoying a few days off at the moment so took the opportunity to fill in one of the "missing pieces" in the Lake District: I climbed Scafell Pike a few years ago and have been up Skiddaw & Helvellyn many times so Sca Fell was the only English 3000'er remaining.


I thought about going via Lord's Rake but reckoned  it'd be climbing with the hoardes (first weekend in August) so I picked a fairly conservative route:




I did wander about a bit exploring various options but essentially the route was: Brackenclose; Hollow Gill; Green How Path; Summit; Descent West towards Burnmoor Tarn; with deviation off to take in Maiden Castle Cairn; back to Brackenclose.


I was surprised (maybe everyone else was in Lord's Rake or on Scafell Pike?) because:


- didn't see anybody on the way up
- only about 8 people on the summit (of which three, quite independently, asked which mountain they were on!!)
- only saw two couples on the way down


Also, I expected to find "motorway" paths throughout the area - this was not the case.


A few pictures below & more on Facebook:


Sca Fell Summit

Not many folk here

They're all on Scafell Pike!!
Weather: last night the BBC forecasters were frantically hedging their bets with a prediction that anywhere in the North of England was set for potentially very heavy rain today. Meanwhile mwis (http://www.mwis.org.uk/) and the met office mountain forecast (www.metoffice.gov.uk) consistently forecast that the far west would be dry, with high cloud - they were spot on!

2 comments:

  1. Sound totally sweet!!! Your blog is awesome!!! Leave me a comment or follow my blog sometime at www.goals2realize.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello running4him - thanks!
    I've just had a quick look at your blog & will add it to my blog list. Best Regards, Mal

    ReplyDelete