Tuesday 21 December 2010

Shortest Day

21/12/10 Dodd, High Seat & High Tove - Run


High Seat Summit


With: On my own

Weather: Clear blue sky; freezing cold; lying snow; no wind


I like to commemorate significant days in the year, we used to always celebrate the shortest day with friends in Darlington, today I went for a run.
Minus 11 degC, I left the car at Strutta Wood and began to ascend at a steady pace alongside Ashness Gill & warmed up quickly. My route was slightly off piste through the crags to the summit of Dodd, the views all the way were spectacular. The going on the summit plateau was poor over frozen tussocks of grass, however, as this is new territory I was grateful for the frost as I suspect the area is really just a very wet bog under normal conditions.
I made a couple of nav errors today, recovered ok each time but in general my nav when running is not as good as when walking - think I look at the map a bit less & haven't put the work in to sort out timings / pacings when running. Things were made worse today by the fact that I have knackered my compass - all the markings have been rubbed off the base plate by repeated use underground. My head wasn't working well today either - Kay's new treatment starts tomorrow & its very much on my mind.
Anyway, after a section of running that was quite reminiscent of bushwhacking in the northern fells I reached the summit of High Seat. It was well worth the effort as I was rewarded with excellent views in all directions - awesome. Had to shed hat & gloves at this point as I was too hot!!

Blencathra

Skiddaw

North Western Fells
From High Seat I headed pretty much south to the unremarkable summit of High Tove, no immediate plans to return here! Once again I headed off piste (general westerly direction) to try to return to the valley somewhat closer to the car than going via Watendlath, it was partially successful in that the ultimate objective was achieved but my route did continue across some very poor terrain rather than what I understand is quite a good path down to Watendlath!

I finished with a pleasant and fluid section on the snow covered road, stopping to take a few more photos of Derwent Water & Bassenthwaite, all in all a good way to celebrate the shortest day.
Am hoping to sort out a few kit glitches for day running in the fells with one or two hoped for Christmas presents! Firstly, a new compass is on the way as is a 6L bumbag which will allow me to dispense with the small rucsac that I'm presently using - bliss!!

Todays statistics:

Appox 5 miles; 1600' ascent; 2 hours

Well thats me until after Christmas.
Peace & joy to all at this special time, will be back in the New Year with any outings I manage over the festive season.


No comments:

Post a Comment